Wednesday, July 13, 2011

When Black Men Dress Up.....

"Why Are You Dressed Up?"
is a popular question that most young black men get asked when they are dressed up and out in public. Why is that? Do we always have to be dressed up in order to be going somewhere? Can I just be dressed up because I want to? We are not trying to boost our ego's by dressing up nor do we have to be going to a job interview, work, church, court hearing, or a funeral.   

I can't speak for all black men but in MY experiences, it seems as if wearing a tie demands respect. If you are at a retail store, the cashier will greet you with the utmost respect. It's like you are a totally different person. As if the clothes on my back have given me a totally new identity.  Why is that? I could be walking down the street in my Rocawear outfit and some gym shoes, and nobody speaks to me as I walk past them, BUT the second I have on a suit and tie and waiting for the elevator, I get a Hello, how are you doing or even some small talk about the weather. Why is that? 



Often times when people see a man in a suit, they believe they are taking care of business or often appears smart, intelligent, and has some wisdom. Why is it that I can't appear to have all those characteristics when wearing my "regular clothes?" Lastly, this is just an observation of mine I have encountered and wanted to share it with YOU. What thoughts run across your mind when you see a black man dressed up? Are they positive or negative? 

1 comment:

  1. When I see a black man dressed up that tells me a lot about his character; not only dressed up but how it is put together. Any man could put on a suit but if the man took enough time to make sure everything is well put together than that means that he is ALL about business and care enough about himself to look presentable. I have to agree, many people will definitely engage in a conversation with a man that is dressed up than a man with regular clothing...but what is regular clothing? What about sagging jeans, or a t-shirt with possibly stains from a BBQ earlier that day? I'm just saying your appearance is everything. I always believe your first impression is your last so when you go out into the world, whether you're going to the gas station,to the store or around the corner...you should always dress like you mean business...PRESENTABLE...but that would be a blog on its own right Terjohn? LOL...Why can't we just take a little bit more time in the morning to make sure our hair is to perfection, our clothes is ironed and well fit? I also believe that you get exactly what you put out...in other words, if you don't care the way you look then why should someone even dare twice to care about your or think to even speak? Just some food for thought...

    ReplyDelete